Sandy has always excelled in math; she initially developed an interest in it for its role in problem solving and strategy. As she began her career, Sandy found that civil engineering and planning shared the same solution-based focus on actively preventing the long-term issues that affect our communities and the environment.
After serving in a variety of roles at Nitsch Engineering, Sandy is now Vice President and Director of Planning, boasting over 34 years of expertise in the planning and design of sustainable sites. Her efforts for various private owners and state agencies in preparing strategic site plans and reports have given her a strong background in land use planning to meet local zoning and planning regulations.
“I enjoy the process of design and working with a team to balance the goals of the project (program, cost, sustainability, aesthetics, legacy, function, place making, and safety). I love seeing the project get built and appreciate when I can contribute to the process with a simple, innovative solution that resolves a project challenge.”
Outside of Nitsch
When she is not working, Sandy loves to spend her time outdoors. Through a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, walking, and biking, she tries to get outside and enjoy nature whenever the opportunity arises. Sandy also enjoys CrossFit, staying active in her community, and gardening. She is proud to have spent two years designing and constructing rural water supplies in Malawi, Africa for the Peace Corps.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts (ACEC/MA) Odyssey Leadership Program
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) Sustainable Site Technical Advisory Board (SS TAG): Chair; USGBC Technical Committee: Member
- Grafton Conservation Commission: Chair
- Grafton Community Preservation Commission: Member
- Massachusetts Conservation Commissioners Association (MACC): Director
- Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO) Industry Advisory Group (IAG): Peer Reviewer
- U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Design Excellence: Peer Reviewer