The renovation and 13,700-square-foot addition to the Addison Gallery of American Art at Phillips Academy included restoring the historic 1931 building, designing the new Sidney R. Knafel Wing (which houses the new Museum Learning Center), and designing and installing Andover’s first green roof. The green roof covers a 2,356-square-foot area of roof over the new addition, and helps manage stormwater runoff and improve the building’s energy performance.
Nitsch prepared an existing conditions survey for the site, prepared the demolition and utility plan for the updated sewer and drainage system associated with project, and worked closely with the Academy to prepare and obtain permits from the Town of Andover Planning Board.
Owner: Phillips Academy
Architect: Centerbrook Architects and Planners, LLC