Nitsch Engineering is a long-time member of the US Green Building Council and has a deep commitment to sustainable development. When we moved into our new headquarters at 2 Center Plaza, Boston, MA, we prioritized achieving LEED Gold for the space. We’re proud that our office has been certified LEED Gold Commercial Interiors by achieving points in these key areas:
- Development Density and Community Connectivity: Our office at 2 Center Plaza is a renovation of space in a previously developed urban area which encourages high-density development to preserve open space and reduce urban sprawl.
- Alternative Transportation – Public Transportation Access: Nitsch Engineering is within a few blocks of three MBTA stations with access to the Red, Blue, Orange, and Green Line trains. We are a 13- and 14-minute walk to the commuter rail lines at North and South Station, respectively.
Energy and Atmosphere
- Optimize Energy Performance – Lighting Power, Lighting Control, HVAC, Equipment and Appliances: Our energy performance is optimized by LED lighting that reduces lighting power consumption by 35%, occupancy sensors, Energy Star appliances and energy-efficient equipment, and HVAC efficiency requirements in compliance with New Building Institute’s Advanced Building Core Performance, reducing the use of Business Gas and Electricity, decreasing utility expenditure.
- Enhanced Commissioning: A LEED Commissioning agent provided enhanced commissioning for the project.
- Green Power: Nitsch Engineering purchased 16kWh/ft (457,600 kWh) of renewable wind power energy to reduce our carbon footprint.
Materials and Resources
- Storage and Collection of Recyclables: All resources are stored in plastic crates that can be reused over and over. Teacrate offers crate rental for any office interested in taking a similar route. Disposal units are provided in all offices, cubicles, conference rooms, copy room and cafe/training area for recyclable materials. All cleaning is done by a green company to keep the office as green as possible.
- Tenant Space – Long Term Commitment: Ten year lease.
- Construction Waste Management: 80% of the construction demolition and debris materials were recycled and not sent to landfills and incinerators.
- Materials Reuse – Furniture and Furnishings: 60% of our workstations, files, and bookcases are refurbished.
- Recycled Content: In aggregate, the recycled content of all office furniture is 17% total.
- Regional Materials: The well made office furniture that has been refurbished along with the workstations which were made from materials that were extracted, processed, and manufactured regionally; the doors, task chairs, and reception desk were manufactured regionally.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Construction IAQ Management Plan – During Construction: The Indoor Air Quality Plan reduced air quality problems and reduced health issues with construction workers and building occupants.
- Low Emitting Materials: The adhesives and sealants, paints and coatings, flooring systems, and composite wood and agrifiber products used throughout our space are made of low emitting materials.
- Thermal Comfort – Design: All heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems were designed to meet the requirements of ASHRAE Standard 55-2004, Thermal Comfort Conditions for Human Occupancy.
- Thermal Comfort – Verification: A thermal comfort survey will be conducted to confirm occupant comfort has been achieved.
- Nitsch Engineering has an agreement with our building owner to follow a Green Cleaning plan that adheres to LEED green cleaning policy requirements.