Incorporated in 1871 as the Cambridge Hospital, Mount Auburn Hospital underwent a campus expansion with the goal of relieving space constraints by creating more appropriately-sized patient care facilities. In addition to calling for a new acute-care building with 40 private patient rooms and two operating rooms, the project includes increasing the parking supply by adding a new parking garage, revising the site circulation, adding new loading dock areas and a covered bicycle parking area, designing new arrival areas, improving the entrances on Mount Auburn Street, improving way finding for pedestrians and vehicles, and enhancing the landscaping.

Nitsch Engineering provided civil/site engineering services for the project, including utility design, layout, and grading. We coordinated permitting with the Cambridge Engineering Department and the Conservation Commission, as well as the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.