Nitsch Engineering provided civil engineering services for the design, permitting, and construction of the Phase 1 and Phase 2 site improvements for the redevelopment of the Old Colony Housing Development, a public housing project with 873 apartments in 22 three-story brick walk-up buildings near Andrews Square. Built in 1941, the16-acre Old Colony development struggled with aged systems and infrastructure, and a very high annual energy and water cost of over $4,000 per unit. The two-phased redevelopment included:
- Phase One: 116 new units of affordable housing and a new 10,000-square-foot community center (the Joseph M. Tierney Learning Center)
- Phase Two: 169 new units of affordable housing and five new public streets
During Phase One, Nitsch Engineering served as an on-call consultant, assisting the project team with City of Boston Public Works permitting, and providing peer review services. Construction began in late fall of 2010 and was completed by summer of 2012. During Phase Two, we served as the Civil Engineer of Record, providing design and permitting services for the private development parcels and five new public streets. Our services included accessibility compliance, grading, utility support, project coordination, roadway infrastructure design, and cut and fill analysis. Nitsch Engineering also led the project team in obtaining Boston Water and Sewer Commission Site Plan Approval, Public Improvement Commission Approval, and DEP Sewer Compliance Approval. Phase Two improvements are expected to be complete in spring 2014.
The redevelopment was funded by a $22 million grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), to fund “green” public housing transformation projects across the country. The project integrated a wide range of sustainable elements, including light-colored walkways to reduce the heat-island effect, and stormwater management features such as pervious pavers, vegetated areas to green the site, and underground stormwater recharge systems that reduce the volume of water to the city system while treating for phosphorous.