Nitsch Engineering provided civil engineering services for the Museum of Fine Arts’ (MFA) expansion project, which increased and enhanced the historic facility. Founded in 1870, the MFA moved to its present location on Huntington Avenue in 1909. The Master Plan for the current expansion was unveiled in 2002 and groundbreaking occurred in November 2005. The project included demolishing the existing East Wing, raising the east courtyard to be level with the current entry level, creating new Special Exhibition and Americas Wing galleries/pavilions below the east courtyard, building a new underground mechanical plant area, adding administrative space in the upper two floors of the East Wing, creating a new vertical circulation infrastructure, renovating existing galleries, expanding the Education Department, adding new shops, reconstructing the Fenway and Huntington entrances, making site improvements along Forsyth Way, and creating the distinctive 70-foot-high crystal spine that will run through the Museum.
Nitsch Engineering performed site utility, layout, and grading design for the project, and prepared (or assisted in the preparation of) the permit applications for the Boston Water and Sewer Commission, the Department of Environmental Protection Sewer Connection, the Boston Public Improvement Commission, Chapter 91, the Department of Conservation and Recreation, and the City of Boston Parks Department. We also prepared construction documents for the project, and provided construction administration services.