The water/leaf teardrop symbol is used throughout our website to denote a sustainable project. It is also being used as our internal mascot “Nitschie,” who appears on all the environmental/LEED educational signage in our office space.
Boston Office: LEED-CI Gold Certification
Nitsch Engineering is a member of the US Green Building Council and has a deep commitment to sustainable development. Our headquarters at 2 Center Plaza, Boston, MA has been certified LEED Gold Commercial Interiors by achieving points in these key areas:
- Development Density and Community Connectivity: Our office at 2 Center Plaza is a renovation of space in a previously developed urban area which encourages high-density development to preserve open space and reduce urban sprawl.
- Alternative Transportation – Public Transportation Access: Nitsch Engineering is within a few blocks of three MBTA stations with access to the Red, Blue, Orange, and Green Line trains. We are a 13- and 14-minute walk to the commuter rail lines at North and South Station, respectively.
Energy and Atmosphere
- Optimize Energy Performance – Lighting Power, Lighting Control, HVAC, Equipment and Appliances: Our energy performance is optimized by LED lighting that reduces lighting power consumption by 35%, occupancy sensors, Energy Star appliances and energy-efficient equipment, and HVAC efficiency requirements in compliance with New Building Institute’s Advanced Building Core Performance, reducing the use of Business Gas and Electricity, decreasing utility expenditure.
- Enhanced Commissioning: A LEED Commissioning agent provided enhanced commissioning for the project.
- Green Power: Nitsch Engineering purchased 16kWh/ft (457,600 kWh) of renewable wind power energy to reduce our carbon footprint.
Materials and Resources
- Storage and Collection of Recyclables: All resources are stored in plastic crates that can be reused over and over. Teacrate offers crate rental for any office interested in taking a similar route. Disposal units are provided in all offices, cubicles, conference rooms, copy room and cafe/training area for recyclable materials. All cleaning is done by a green company that is similar to a company such as www.greenfacilities.co.uk/ in order to keep the office as green as possible.
- Tenant Space – Long Term Commitment: Ten year lease.
- Construction Waste Management: 80% of the construction demolition and debris materials were recycled and not sent to landfills and incinerators.
- Materials Reuse – Furniture and Furnishings: 60% of our workstations, files, and bookcases are refurbished.
- Recycled Content: In aggregate, the recycled content of all office furniture is 17% total.
- Regional Materials: The well made office furniture that has been refurbished along with the workstations which were made from materials that were extracted, processed, and manufactured regionally; the doors, task chairs, and reception desk were manufactured regionally.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Construction IAQ Management Plan – During Construction: The Indoor Air Quality Plan reduced air quality problems and reduced health issues with construction workers and building occupants.
- Low Emitting Materials: The adhesives and sealants, paints and coatings, flooring systems, and composite wood and agrifiber products used throughout our space are made of low emitting materials.
- Thermal Comfort – Design: All heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems were designed to meet the requirements of ASHRAE Standard 55-2004, Thermal Comfort Conditions for Human Occupancy.
- Thermal Comfort – Verification: A thermal comfort survey will be conducted to confirm occupant comfort has been achieved.
- Nitsch Engineering has an agreement with our building owner to follow a Green Cleaning plan that adheres to LEED green cleaning policy requirements.
Washington, DC Office: LEED O+M Gold Certification
In keeping with our commitment to sustainability, when we opened our DC office, we sought a green space. The 2175 K Street building is Energy Star Certified and is LEED certified, achieving Gold level certification under the Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance rating system.