In 2014, Nitsch Engineering was ranked the second Best Civil Engineering Firm to Work For in the country by ZweigWhite. This ranking took into account a wide range of indicators, including:
- General Information: gross revenue; employee count; our areas of practice; awards received; and ownership
- Culture: mission statement/vision; diversity; flexible work options; philanthropic/community activities; social events; physical workspace; sustainability; feedback mechanisms; working strategic business plan; revenue/financial data shared; measures taken to ensure client satisfaction; employee opinion surveys; and technology
- Recruiting and Retention: number of managers vs. non-managers; layoffs in the past year; reasons for turnover; sourcing of new hires/employee referrals; promotions; employee tenure; recognition; performance reviews; compensation structure; and bonuses
- Benefits: 401k plan; vacation; sick and personal time off; health, dental, and disability insurance; maternity/paternity leave; and other insurance/benefits offered
- Professional Development: tuition reimbursement; mentoring/coaching; training opportunities; professional registration; and professional society memberships
- Improvements or changes made in 2012
- Data from an employee survey (accounted for 75% of the score)
In comparison to other participating firms, Nitsch consistently rated above average in almost every category. We are thrilled that our employees rate our firm so highly!
As a specialist in sustainable site design, Nitsch Engineering has been working to integrate sustainability into site and building development projects for over 15 years. This commitment to sustainability is embodied in our office space as well: since 2007, the internal “Nitsch Green Team” has been working to make our office as sustainable as possible. As members of the Sustainable Business Leader Program, we have committed to using less and recycling more, reducing our energy use, encouraging more environmentally friendly transportation choices (such as bicycling and riding the T), and educating our employees and clients about making sustainable choices in their own lives. When we designed our new office space, we focused on achieving LEED-CI Gold certification. As we continue to improve, we would like to someday be a completely carbon-neutral company!
During the “working years,” most people spend around a quarter of their life at work. With that being the case, Nitsch Engineering believes that the workplace can and should be enjoyable! We encourage a friendly and relaxed environment on a day-to-day basis, and host employee social events on a regular basis to keep things fun. Click here to view a video that showcases past events.
Lisa Brothers initiated a Wellness Program when she became President and CEO of Nitsch Engineering in January of 2011. "It's really important to support our employees in making healthy lifetime decisions. I want them to live healthier, happier, and more fulfilling lives – both at work and at home. To this end, we have hosted individual as well as team wellness challenges. The team challenges allow for cross-discipline collaborations, which is great for team building ... and it’s fun! We also have a Running Club which trains for, and runs, 5k and 10k races together."
At Nitsch Engineering, we take our tagline – “Building better communities with you” – seriously. We are committed to making our communities stronger and more sustainable, and to supporting our employees in making positive contributions to our communities and the environment. For more information on specific endeavors, and to see a short video that highlights some of our community involvement, click here.
Lisa Brothers received this email from one of our Survey Crew Chiefs on a Saturday morning while she was running on her treadmill to hit the target steps for her Wellness Challenge team:
“Good morning Lisa,
It's 9am on a Saturday and I'm doing something I never do... I'm at the gym trying to get extra steps in before the end of the week. Just want to let you know I think it's a great benefit that Nitsch puts a focus on health and fitness! “